Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you’re chewing on life’s gristle
Don’t grumble, give a whistle
And this’ll help things turn out for the best…
And…always look on the bright side of life…
Always look on the light side of life…
That song was written by Eric Idle for the 1979 Monty Python film “Life of Brian”.
After last night, the lyrics ring especially true for Blue Jays fans, who watched in horror / disgust / agony / shock / depression as “closer” Frank Francisco, in to protect a four run lead in the ninth, allowed a single, double, and walk to load the bases. Cue Luis Perez, who promptly allowed a single followed by a walk-off grand slam to Travis Hafner.
The collapse brought back memories of April 11th in Seattle, when the Jays coughed up a 7-0 lead in the 7th to fall 8-7 to the Mariners – a memory that Jays fans would rather leave buried in the deep recesses of our minds.
But these things happen. Even well established closers for contending teams have rough outings, the Jonathan Papelbon’s, Jose Valverde’s, and Brian Wilson’s of the world.
So in honour of Monty Python, let’s forget about the collapse and look on the bright side of life.
Here are several great things that happened last night (before the bottom of the 9th).
– Jose Bautista hit his 29th HR of the season, tying George Bell’s franchise record
for HR before the All-Star break
– Carlos Villanueva might have turned into Toronto’s most consistent starter after pitching 6 shutout innings with 7 strikeouts. His season ERA now sits at 2.99.
– Edwin Encarnacion had three (3!!!!) hits!
– Aaron Hill had two (2!!) hits!!
– J.P. Arencibia broke out of a terrible slump with two hits and an RBI.
– Bautista made an
unbelievable play at 3B, proving even further that he is the Jays offensive AND defensive MVP.
– Though he refused to speak to media after the game – giving them a friendly “F*ck off” – Francisco did not throw a folding chair at any living, breathing person.
So there you go.
Good news all around.